Monday, October 15, 2007

Kids These Days

Writing can be a lonely business. Writing is essentially a form of talking to yourself for hours at a time. It can make you a little crazy sometimes, but it all seems worth it when you get a genuine and sincere response from someone who liked something you wrote. Such was the case this past weekend when I got the email that follows from one Nick Bartolotta. I found what he does so interesting and his interest in what I did as an ATA captain so moving, that I asked him if I could post his email for others to see, and he said I could.

I suggest you read, or reread, my post titled Catania in junction with this post. As long as kids like these two keep coming along, we don’t have to worry about the future of this country.

"Hi Mr. Clausing!

"My name is Nick Bartolotta, and I am currently a Senior enrolled in Staples High School, in Westport, Connecticut. I came across your blog (http://djclausing.blogspot.com/) the other day, and saw you were an ATA Captain. I absolutely love the stories and explanations you have there, and wanted to email you about them. I'll explain a little about myself though first...

"While I am a natural-born U.S. citizen, I spent most of the years I can remember, in Tokyo, Japan. My father's employer, IMS Health, was the reason for us living there, and my family and I spent eight years in Tokyo before moving back to the United States in summer of 2005.

"Contrary to anyone's job experience in my family, I have been engrossed in aviation and the airline industry since I was in elementary school. While living in Japan, I was unable to take flying lessons, and following the Japanese airline industry was difficult with a language barrier. However, in moving to the United States, I was able to quench my interest for flying and following the undeniably turbulent industry.

"About three years ago, I purchased Microsoft's Flight Simulator 2002 game, which was a way for enthusiasts like myself to "simulate" flights in everything from old-WWI aircraft to 747's! This product became much more than a game, as it propelled my interest in aviation at a new speed. A popular concept in connection with Flight Simulator was that of "virtual airlines," which were organizations and communities who strived to add the most realistic experience to the game, by emulating actual airlines schedules, fleets, and many other business factors. There is a "virtual airline" emulating United Airlines, American Airlines, British Airways, UPS, and hundreds more! Enthusiasts like myself, who owned Microsoft Flight Simulator, could sign up on this airlines as "virtual pilots," and enjoy the community atmosphere as well as logbook records, access to downloadable fleets, and much more!

"I became involved with an emulation of ATA Airlines, and joined as their Indianapolis Station Manager. My job was to manage the virtual pilots in the Indianapolis crew base, which included ensuring they flew flights they were properly qualified to fly, providing assistance to new members of the airline who often times were clueless to the concept, and much more. At the time I was "hired" at ATA Virtual, I knew almost NOTHING about ATA! If someone had asked me what ATA was, I would have said "they're an airline flying 737's out of the midwest." That's about all I knew!

"For six months, I put in hours a day into running the virtual crew base, and eventually when our "virtual" Founder and Chief Executive Officer resigned, I was selected by our "virtual" board to be the new Chief Executive Officer. The website is www.atavirtual.com

"Working at ATA Virtual completely changed my life. While all our work is centered around a game, none of us really think of it as a game anymore, as it takes the time and attention much like running an actual company. I quickly learned more about the actual ATA Airlines. Since my start at ATA Virtual more then two years ago, I have been fortunate enough to meet many actual employees at ATA Airlines. In fact, I became very close with two employees there, both who are high enough in the ranks at ATA Airlines to have setup both tours in Chicago-Midway, and Indianapolis. When visiting Indianapolis last month, I had a chance to meet with ATA's Vice President of Corporate Finance, Sean Frick, and with managers ranging from station operations to system operations.

"I would say it's an understatement to say my life revolves around ATA. My room has all four walls covered with ATA posters and banners, and my parents can now explain the concept of a "military charter" and probably even tell you a few cities ATA flies into for their tech stops ( i.e. BUD, SNN, BGR). Since moving back from Japan, I had a tough time meeting new people and finding a new social "niche" per say, and so having friends at ATA who could help me get involved at ATA has gotten my through the tough years of high school.

"Now looking on the horizon at colleges, and my career, I have been faced with making some difficult decisions. On one hand, I have always wanted to be a pilot, pretty much as long as I can remember! But on the other hand, I have now grown so attached to ATA, I don't know if I'm willing to fly with the smaller/regional airlines, in order to work my way up the ranks to be able to fly with ATA. The military isn't an option either as I am partially colorblind.

"I was about to get to the point of this email, when I realized it really has no point. I had just read your stories on the blog, and loved reading about the procedures and the experiences an ATA pilot has had...there is no other airline like ATA, in fact, most can never even become remotely close. ;-) I mean, really, how many pilots can say they have flown into the Equitorial Guinea? Or they routinely fly into Greenland on Thursday, and on Friday operate Chicago to Dallas runs?

"So to end this monstrously long email...hello to a former ATA employee, from one who hopes to be one in the future!

"-Nick Bartolotta"

No comments: